NorthWestern Energy has provided reliable and affordable energy to customers in Montana, South Dakota and Nebraska for more than 100 years. Our company got its start in small communities, providing essential service that allowed them to grow and prosper. Today, we are proud to serve more than 718,300 residential and business customers with electricity and natural gas.
With roots in the Montana Power Co. and South Dakota-based Northwestern Public Service Co., NorthWestern Energy took its current form in 2002 when the company bought the Montana Power electric and natural gas transmission and distribution system and became a partial owner of Colstrip Unit 4.
Today, the company is a growing, financially sound, investor-owned energy company. Shares in NorthWestern Energy are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol NWE.
NorthWestern at glance:
- Number of employees: About 1,600
- Number of customer accounts: 718,300
- Number of states served: Three, plus Yellowstone National Park
- Miles of electric line: 28,055 transmission and distribution
- Miles of natural gas line: 9,758 plus storage facilities
- Owned electric generation: 11 hydroelectric dams, 30 percent of Colstrip Unit 4, Dave Gates Generating Station (natural gas), Spion Kop wind farm, Two Dot wind farm